Jobs in Barcelona

Finding work in Barcelona is not quite so easy if you don’t speak Spanish. However, there are many international companies based in Barcelona, as well as those small to medium-sized companies set up by expatriates, many of which need employees who speak English.

There are also several call centres based here, and they often need foreign language speakers – English and other language speakers.

Another good way to get a job in Barcelona is to qualify as an English language teacher. There are many schools in Barcelona that teach the TEFOL and CELTA certificates, and they often help you to find work once you’ve qualified.

Six Ways to Find Work in Barcelona

  • Barcelona Metropolitan coverGet a copy of the Barcelona Metropolitan magazine –or view the online version. This is Barcelona’s magazine in English. It’s free, is published every month and has classified section which includes job listings. Most of the job adverts are aimed at the expat community as employers are searching for people with language skills – and sometimes that just means being able to speak English.The Barcelona Metropolitan is available in many places throughout the city. Most of the language schools stock copies, but you can also pick up copies at Café de la Opera on La Rambla 74, (opposite the Liceu opera house) and Hibernian English Bookshop in Gracia, for example. If you go to the Metropolitan’s website you can find all of the distribution points:
  • Check out –another website – but this one specialises in jobs. is a large site, covering Spain, Mexico and Italy, but you can search by city and also by your job category. Most of the job postings are in Spanish, but there are some jobs advertised in English too.You have to subscribe to the site in order to reply to job offers, but this is an easy process. Once you are a member you can apply to have any new job offers in your area and category to be emailed to you as they appear. There is also a system to help you with your CV:
    There is also a section specially for freelancers:
  • If you are a Spanish speaker then one of the best ways to find work is the old fashioned way of looking in the newspapers, La Vanguardia and El Pais being the most popular, both with good job sections. La Vanguardia has an online classified section where you can browse for jobs at, and the online directory for jobs at El Pais is:
  • Barcelona's World Trade CentreAvis Contact Centres. Avis is the international car hire company and their international call centre is in Barcelona, in the World Trade Centre to be precise. Avis are always recruiting (it’s a call centre job and the turnover is quite high), but if you need a job whilst you’re looking for something more rewarding, need part-time work, or are just planning to stay in Barcelona for a short time – six months to a year perhaps – then Avis is a good bet.If you only speak English you can apply for work there.Avis also recruit people speaking Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch and Czech. They give a temporary contract initially, usually six to eight months, and then a permanent contract if everything goes well. There is a page about working for Avis here: (in Spanish, but you can apply in English). Or send an email with your CV to: [email protected]
  • is a website that posts jobs available in Barcelona. They mostly link to jobs listed on other recruitment websites, as well as linking directly to company websites where vacancies are available. specialise in vacancies at startup companies, and it’s helpful to have Barcelona jobs all located in the one place.
  • Of course, there’s LinkedIn – a great place to find work. Their jobs section can be filtered to include type of work and location. There is usually a good selection of more technical jobs available in Barcelona on LinkedIn:

So, those are my top six ways of finding employment in Barcelona – best of luck!

Teach English in Spain

With an English Language teaching qualification you have the opportunity to find work in Barcelona teaching English during the summer, and if you’re lucky all year.

Teach English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)

There are many language schools in Barcelona who employ teachers – usually on a short-term contract, and there are also companies that hire teachers to give English lessons to their employees. Of course, you also have the option of freelancing too.

Oxford TEFLOxford TEFL

Oxford TEFL is among the most highly-regarded teacher training institutions in Barcelona, Prague, London, Cadiz, Malaga and Kerala (India). They are friendly and professional and can offer:

  • Cambridge CELTA
  • Teacher development courses
  • Full time courses
  • Accommodation service
  • Visa service
  • Careers service
  • Social events and workshops

The Oxford TEFL centre in Barcelona is modern and centrally located on Calle Diputació 279, near Passeig de Gracia. For more information visit their website.

How To Be Self-employed in Spain

There are various legal requirements to being self-employed (autónomo/a) in Spain, the first and foremost is to obtain your Número de Identidad de Extranjeros (NIE). There is an article on how to get your NIE on my page about legal requirements for living and working in Barcelona.

Secondly, freelancers must register at the local tax office – Delegación de Hacienda. The Agencia Tributaria’s website ( lists all the offices, so you can find your nearest office there. At the Hacienda you have to choose the area of work you’re involved with from one of their categories and you also need to register for IVA, which is the Spanish equivalent to VAT. In Spain your NIE number also acts as your IVA number.

The next stage is to register at your local social security office, their official website is (you can view the website in English). To do this you need your registration form from the Hacienda, your passport as proof of identity and your NIE. Every month, despite what you earn, you must pay approximately €250. This money is similar to National Insurance payments in the UK and covers your unemployment benefit and national health contributions.

As a self-employed person you have to file a tax return for your business quarterly, in January, April, July and October together with IVA returns. Every year, following your first year, you must also file a full personal income tax return (IRPF) in April. Any invoice (factura) you issue for your business must contain your full name, address and NIE number.

There are a lot of legal requirements and red tape involved with going self-employed and I think an accountant or gestor is essential, and maybe a lawyer too depending on the type and size of business.

There is a website (in Spanish) which is a network for the self-employed in Spain and it gives information on all the legal requirements as well as help on everything concerning being an autónomo – from how to invoice to online marketing:

By continuing to navigate you agree to accept cookies from this site. More information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.